- Keep your system updated: Even though those updates take forever and potentially introduce new problems, on average it is best to stay up to date with the latest Win10 updates. BTW: If you are on anything older - I suggest trying Linux (eg MX Linux) instead.
- Install the free version of CCleaner from ccleaner.com and run that monthly. CCleaner also allows you to clean up your registry and see what is installed and control what is trying to run at startup.
- Install the free version of Malwarebytes from malwarebytes.com and run that monthly. The free version will keep asking if you want to switch to the paid version or install a trial of paid version but I prefer to monitor it manually and run it for free. That's just me. Just let it find and remove any potentially unwand programs (PUP's).
- For anti-virus my current recommendation is to use the built-in Win10 'Windows Security' program. It is free in Win10 and works as well as any of the other free antivirus programs with little impact on the speed of the system and reduced risk of some unknown company spying on you or selling your information abroad. Between these three programs you should be able to keep the laptop free of infections and malware.
- Finally, for avoiding unwanted websites, see my post on cleanbrowsing.org ..
Magrath, AB Recommended steps to keep your Windows 10 computer safe and free from crud.